Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

My German Pedicure

This was my Mother's Day treat, a pedicure! Something I have been looking forward to for months now and the reason I haven't gone earlier is because finding an American style nail salon in German is difficult. I finally found a new nail salon that just opened two weeks ago in Konigstein, a town about 5 minutes up the street (I've mentioned this town before).

I walk in and there is a huge pedicure chair, just like the nail salons at home...I felt at ease. The lady was Vietnamese and her name was Lyn. She was very very nice and told me her entire background on why she is living in Germany and why she opened the shop.  The short story is she moved her 10 years ago because her brother and wife were killed in a car crash so she moved from California to here to raise their two children. Well now the children are 19 and 21 and causing major problems and she opened the shop as an outlet and to make money to send home to her two sons that are in medical school in New Jersey. ANYWAY, that's Lyn! :) Very nice lady.

Lyn gave me the May issue of US Weekly and said you are doing what the American women do on Saturdays...getting a pedicure and relaxing! I said, yup and it's incredible! Now for the reason I'm posting this story about my German pedicure.

Lyn said a traditional German pedicure cost 40 Euro and that doesn't include any massage or exfoliation. This pretty much only includes a polish change. They also sit you in this round tub, you get no cozy back message chair. Lyn said the German service is terrible. Her goal is to bring the American nail salon concept to Germany. I told her I would tell all my friends! :) Sounded like a German pedicure was not relaxing nor anything women do together as a girls date like at home. Oh and Lyn only charges 20 Euro, way better! The rest of the day as we walked around I took note of German women's feet. I was surprised to notice most of them had on closed toe shoes, either boots, ballet flats, or tennis shoes. The women that did have on sandels did not have pretty toes! HA! And I think I was the only one where flip flops with spectacular looking toes I might add. The weather was like 80 degrees and sunny so just imagine how trapped their feet must have felt. Now that I know what a German pedicure includes I understand the reason for closed toed shoes in late spring! :)

One more thing. Lyn informed me that Savannah is born in the year of the Tiger. These babies (she said) are very special. They are indepedent, extremely smart and strong. She was very clear and looked me straight in the eye and said, "You and your husband speak to Savannah with one voice." Because if we don't she said Savannah will see that we are not united and she will challenge us. She predicted Savannah will be out of our house by 21 and moved on her own. That made me sad as I sat getting my pedicure on Mother's Day weekend.

By the end of my 60 minute pedicure, I realized I got a lessen on German pedicures, the lifestyle of some German women (that's another story), a psychic reading on Savannah, and Lyn told me she is a certified gemologist!

I will definitely go back to Lyn for two reasons. One great pedicure at a great price and two I'm curious on what else she has to teach me!

Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful, strong and loving mothers in my life!

Love,
Elizabeth
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment