Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

We've Made It!

We've made it, all the way to Wiesbaden Germany! Now that we are 1/8th settled I can write a little about our travels and our first few days here.


Thursday (Travel Day) started out really hectic. Packing everything into just six suitcases was an issue especially since they had to be under 50lbs each. Rocky kept taking things out and I kept putting them back in behind him! How could I go to Germany without my flip flops, even though it's winter here, I insisted they MUST come (and they did, in a little pocket on the outside of my suitcase).

We arrived at Dulles airport with about 4 hours to spare before take off. Rocky's parents graciously took us in their van and my Mom came too. The first hour was spent checking in and trying to switch our tickets to first class. In the end that wasn't an option because Military tickets can not be upgraded.


Then we had to stand around waiting for an hour to board Lilly.  Once she got ready they had to scan her crate, and when doing that, it got stuck in the security scanning machine and it had to be taken apart.  That put us like an hour behind so we had security put us to the front of the TSA line where we took up about 20 bins.The people behind us probably hated us.

After that we got on the plane I saw our seats on the plane. Out of this huge plane our seats were in the very back with about 4 inches in front us. Not cool. We had a car seat, two carry ons, a stroller, and a diaper bag. Rocky was pouring sweat trying to get all this on the plane. Luckily the plane wasn't full so we were able to move seats to one where you could have a baby bassinet so Savannah could sleep.  Once there we thought we were settled and right before take off Savannah spit up all over me....like a lot! The airline was really nice and gave me a shirt from first class. I gladly accepted...although in tears I wasn't up there still! jk, our new seats were fine.

Once we landed we got our luggage and found Lilly. She was PERFECT, no accidents just really happy to see us. So we scooped her and headed to catch a van to the hotel. While Rocky when to get the van, I nursed Savannah and called the parents. Well after 30 minutes I realized he had been gone awhile and I started to get nervous. I was about to somehow alert police he was gone when he pulled up in the van. I told Rocky to never leave me again!!


We got to the hotel safe and sound. We are staying at the Wiesbaden Lodge on one of the Army bases here. It's brand new so it's nice. I got some sheets for the bed and fixed our little room up so it's cozy. We will hopefully be getting a suite sometime soon, the reservations got mixed up so right now we are in a 1 queen size room.

While Savannah and I slept at the hotel Rocky checked in with his company and got his rental car. We have a Ford Kougar, funny the German ones start with a K. Right after he picked it up, he backed up the car went forward into the car in front of him. Luckily no damage, but the reverse is funny over here, something that should have been mentioned to an American when renting a car.  

We went to dinner tonight at a German restaurant, it was good but the food was really salty. I liked the chicken noodle soup the best. After we put Savannah to bed we tried to watch a movie on my Mac but we can't download any movies because we're out of the US Region, so sad. Now we are downloading a the Social Network on iTunes, and it takes 5 hours to download....sooo that will be tomorrow night's movie.

Well that's all for now. I'm really sleepy so ignore misspellings and mistakes! :)
XOXO
Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. So happy you're there safe and sound. This blog is going to be awesome and make it feel like I'm keeping up with you guys. Have fun! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great update! Love all the details. Can't wait to keep reading! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog. We do have our skype set up so we hope to talk to you soon ! We love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete