Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

One Week Down


Hi Everyone-Sorry it has been a few days since my last post. Since Monday we moved into a suite, experienced our first German doctors visit, got our German phone plan, and explored just a little bit more. I think we are adjusted to the time difference too.

The suite is really nice, much bigger than the 1 bedroom. Only problem is that we don’t have internet in our room yet, we should have it by this weekend. Since the hotel is only 3 weeks old everything is brand new and more importantly super clean. The floors in the room are tile because it’s a pet friendly hotel so today I bought rubber foam puzzle squares for Savannah to crawl around on the floor from Toys R Us, where we also learned you have to pay 1 EURO to use a shopping cart, very bizarre! Glad we found Toys R Us and these blocks because Savannah is enjoying the freedom to roam again. We have a little kitchen with a refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. It’s nice to have this so we don’t have to eat out all the time.

Now let me tell you about my German doctor. Well let me back up. Wednesday I woke up realizing I had a sinus infection and major breastfeeding issues. Rocky had been up all night coughing. And Savannah had the same little cough. So that morning I knew my mission was to find a doctor for all of us. I had no clue where to start. I began by chatting it up with two ladies in the lobby of our hotel because I overheard them speaking about healthcare. They were somewhat helpful and also gave me a name to their realtor. Next I searched for the doctor on base but then later found out since I’m not yet registered in their system they won’t even talk to me especially since Rocky is a civilian and not actually military. With this little info and just a few doctors’ names, we left our hotel to first get a cell phone because we didn’t have a way to call anyone in Germany without paying a million dollars every time I use my American AT&T iPhone. Rocky got an iPhone 4G through T-Mobile. The largest provider in Germany. The plans here are less expensive too. For example, the monthly cost for one iPhone is $75 per month and that includes text and data. In the states it’s an average $100. We just got one phone. I plan to unlock my iPhone and then I’ll sign up with T-Mobile. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this please HELP!!! I have a 3GS and it’s updated to version 4.2 or whatever. I Googled a lot but not sure if this is something I should pay for or can I unlock it for free…

Back to the German doctor. Now when we were at the phone store on base we ran into a lady named Pam. Pam was a godsend on that Wednesday morning. Pam asked how it was going, I told her I had a sinus infection and she quickly sympathized and said the same thing happened to her when she got here 4 months ago. She is also a civilian and told me the doctors on base will not be helpful. She told us about Dr. Alexandar King about 5 minutes from our hotel in downtown Wiesbaden. We immediately left the phone store in the middle of getting the phone and went to Dr. King. His office was very clean and modern. It was located in a beautiful building surrounded by other historic beautiful buildings. Everyone was very nice and we got an appointment right away.  Since this was the first time we were completely immersed in the German culture I quickly learned how to ask how to say, “Do you speak English?” in German. I got over my fear and learned it was easy. Now that is the only thing I know how to say. Well I also know “Halo” meaning Hello. J

So back to the doctor again, sorry I keep getting side tracked! Dr. King is an internist so he was able to help and treat all of us (thanks Maria for that definition). From the minute he walked into the room I felt at ease. Dr. King looked like a polo model; he was German and spoke English; he was incredibly nice, funny and very supportive of breastfeeding. In fact, I think I left the office having a small crush on him, hehe! J Anywho he diagnosed me with a tiny sinus infection, but wouldn’t give me any drugs because “the baby doesn’t like drugs, not even Ibuprofen!” I said, “what, I’ve been popping Ibuprofen like it’s candy!” He said, “Breastfeeding women here don’t get any drugs unless they’re half dead.” Since I’m always nervous to take any medicine I agreed and told him I understood. The only thing he gave me was a mild medicine for all over pain that babies can take, and a pot thing that boils water with essential oils that I can inhale. He diagnosed Rocky with bronchitis and gave him medicine and said he must come back in one week if he doesn’t feel better. He looked at Savannah and said since she is happy with no fever or aches don’t take her to a doctor where germs are flying everywhere. Dr. King also referred me to the women doctors upstairs for my breastfeeding problems. I didn’t make an appointment because I talked to two lactation consultants at home and my sister. Turns out my lack of sleep, sinus infection and Savannah starting to sleep through the night all caused me to have reoccurring plugged milk ducts which was leading to mastitis. Last night I got good rest and have been taking vitamins especially for these problems and I think I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. THANK GOD!!!! And Rocky feels better too! ;)

Now for today….
When we explored today we were in search of the equivalent of Whole Foods. Someone told me a few days ago the equivalent of Whole Foods here is called Real (pronounced ‘ree-al’). We found it, and it’s actually the equivalent of Wal-Mart. In fact it used to be Wal-Mart but Germans didn’t like Wal-Mart so it turned into a Real. No biggie though we found a few things there and even got some organic produce.

Saturday we will be going to the Farmers Market in downtown Wiesbaden. I’m incredibly excited! If you know my love for Farmers Markets then you’ll understand my excitement! My only hope is that it’s as big as the Raleigh Farmers Market. And I think it is because I saw where it is located and it looks huge! This market is open on Saturday and Wednesday. I plan to make this a bi-weekly event! J

That’s all for now. Rocky has his international drivers license test tomorrow wish him luck!

Love,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. HEY ...THIS HAS GOT TO BE SUCH AN EXCITING EXPERIENCE FOR YOU BOTH! VISITING THE NEIGHBORING TOWNS AND LOOKING AT ALL DIFFERENT STYLES OF HOMES ... CONTINUE TO PRAY AND ASK FOR WISDOM AND GOD WILL DIRECT YOUR PATH! (I DO BELIEVE HE ALREADY IS)
    ROCK...YOU'RE GONNA DO GREAT ON YOUR NEXT DRIVING TEST!
    LIZ, I LOVED READING YOUR JOURNAL AND SEEING THE BABY IN ALL HER GLORY!

    ReplyDelete