Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

House Hunters International


Over the past two days we've seen four houses. The first was a complete disaster. It took forever to get there. We crossed a bridge, a power plant and went through two tunnels. It seemed like we were traveling to a different time zone. We finally arrived....it was definitely not worth the trip. It was located in Mainz-Kastel, a town outside of Wiesbaden. It was a townhouse that was severely outdated and very un-kept. The yard was the size of a closet and the stairs were a major hazard for Savannah. We said thanks to Sylvester (the realtor) and prayed for better luck the next day. 

Wednesday we had Ingeborg Huber (our second realtor) show us a house. This house was located in Niedernhausen, opposite side of Wiesdbaden from Mainz-Kastel. About 20 minutes from Rocky's work and 10 minutes from downtown Wiesbaden. BEAUTIFUL HOME! It's brand new, not even done construction yet. It's a stand alone single home, uncommon here, a lot of houses here are duplex style homes. It was very modern, clean with tons of natural light and a gorgeous view of the rolling hills. The kitchen comes with the house (it's so beautiful too), rare in rented homes in Germany. The house is electric so we don't need to worry about gas. The neighborhood is very cute with lots of other young families. There is a butcher and a bakery within in walking distance. The backyard is kinda small but there is a huge field and walking/hiking trails for me to take Savannah and Lilly on walks all day long. The air was very fresh too, I loved it. There is a pool in the community. If it was up to me we would have signed on the house yesterday! :) However, I have a track record of always signing on the first apartment or house we view soooooo we are going to continue our search until we know for sure this is the house. There are a few cons about the house though, one being the stairwell. All four houses we've seen have had spiral stairwells where the steps were open. And if Savannah had somehow gotten past the baby gate to the steps she could curiously wiggle her tiny self through the steps. I don't know if this is possible but the sight of open stairs just makes me really nervous. Not sure if this spiral stairwell is common in German houses but it seems to be so far. Also the house is a tad small. It's about the same size of our house maybe a little bigger.

Ingeborg also showed us the outside of another house which we'll get to view the inside on Friday. We couldn't get an appointment on Wednesday. This house was a adorable and seemed a little bigger. However it was a detached house. We really like Ingeborg. She is very stylish and seems to know what's going on. She told us all of her houses are very nice and not listed on the main realtor website.  

The second two houses we saw yesterday were each with different realtors that we found on the main real estate website. One was a brand new duplex but had space issues. Nice backyard but way to many steps with a little one. The second house gave me the willies, BIG TIME! Just from the pictures Rocky showed me online, I didn't want to see this house because it scared me. My intuition was correct. This house was 150 years old (was originally a barn), and the people living there were a little strange too. It was creepishly (making up my own word, hehe) quiet in the house, it was dark and the layout was so bizarre. Once I learned it was a barn I understood. It felt like I couldn't get out of this house fast enough, I told Rocky I was going to have nightmares about it! The worst part about this house is that it had a basement that was the scariest thing I've ever seen. It was blocked off with a velvet curtain. Rocky wanted to see it, I said no way am I going down there! However reluctantly I followed Rocky down the steps because he was curious. It was dark and scary. There were round metal hooks hanging from the ceiling and it was so big I couldn't even see where this cellar ended. Rocky was investigating and in the middle of his investigation he accidentally turned out the light! Both the realtor and I got really scared and bolted for the steps. Later we learned this cellar was used to store meat, milk and butter because it gets cold down there. After seeing this cellar I backing out toward the door with ever step I took. Rocky kept wanting to make small talk with the current renters! I finally had to say, "okay thank you for letting us view the house"! Once out of the house, Rocky told me he didn't like it either and there was no way he would let us live there. Thank god! :)

Today is a new day and we are seeing another house at 3pm with Sylvester.

Right now my vote is still with the beautiful new house that Ingeborg showed us yesterday. I'll start taking pictures and posting. 

XOXO
Elizabeth 

No comments:

Post a Comment