Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

We've Moved...

We have moved to our Downtown Wiesbaden apartment....and it is fabulous! We are living in a very old and beautiful 1800's building that has been renovated. Our two-bedroom apartment has the old world charm with the modern kitchen and bathrooms. The architechure in the ceilings, crown molding and doors and walls is stunning. I truly love our place!
We have a huge spacious kitchen and two large living rooms. One has been given to little miss savannah as her playroom and the other is our playroom! :) We are still unpacking and have many things to hang on the walls. I'm just happy to be back in the city and around life again. We got the internet so no more borrowing from our neighbor which meant low signal and dropped skyped calls. We also have phone so I can call home to the States anytime and talk as long as I want for free. Rocky is picking up the actual phone today. I told him not to come home unless he has a phone!!! :) Just kidding but getting this phone is pretty serious because our iphone doesn't always get reception here.

There is a reason why I demanded to always have a working phone in our apartment. Monday we discovered Savannah is allergic to peanuts. This was the scariest moment of my life. It unfortunately just topped the the time my apartment was broken into in Arlington six years ago and I didn't think I would ever be that scared.

Savannah's allergist in Frankfurt said it was okay to try peanut butter just to go slow. I asked him three times just to be sure and each time he smiled and said "yes, just go slow". So slow we went. Monday morning I sat her on the kitchen counter and placed a tiny dab of peanut butter on my finger tip. This was the such a small amount, it barely covered my finger tip. Within in minutes she was coughing, wheezing and broke out into hives. I immediatley gave her the hydrocortizone suppository I have on hand from the egg allergy. It works within in 10 minutes. Then I called Rocky and told him to come home immediately and then called her doctor. My phone wasn't getting reception when I was talking to the doctor so I couldn't hear him so we just raced to the hospital where his office is located. On the way Savannah vomitted, it was so frightening. We got to the doctor and he said it's the peanuts and that she was okay because I gave her the hydrocoritzone. He elvauated her heart rate and her throat...all was fine. Thank god I had the hydrocortizone. She was fine the rest of the day and played with Lilly like all was normal. Tuesday we went to the allergist and did the skin test, she is very allergic to peanuts. He said not to let this run our life but just be aware, safe and live our lives....just peanut free. He gave us an epipen and six more hydrocortizones and Fenisil droplets to put in her mouth in case this happens again. It's only an ingested allergy but still serious if ingested. When we first found out I was really upset. Allergies don't run either of our families, I did everything I could to eat organically while pregnant, I breastfed her exclusively and still breastfeed her...guess it just proves that you can do everything in your power to try and protect your child and it still happens. I ordered four books on Amazon about allergies to educate myself. Her egg allergy is very mild meaning she just can't have scrambled eggs but she can eat baked things that are cooked with egg. 

Savannah is happy and thriving and doesn't have any clue about what happened on Monday. Even though I will remember this experience forever, she thankfully will not.

My next post will about our fabulous Medditerean cruise that we took spur of the moment with our good friends the Montgomery's, pictures included! Love to everyone. Please skype me soon and when Rocky comes home with the phone today, I'll be ringing everyone over the next few days!

XOXOX

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine how frightening that experience must have been, but I am so relieved and happy that everything is now okay and you are aware of how to avoid the reaction in the future. We miss you guys so much and cannot wait to see pics of your cruise :)

    ReplyDelete